Yup, looking at the changelog of Apache Spark and having worked on
upgrading much smaller applications across Spark versions, I can attest
that this process shouldn't take too much time. The number of breaking
changes are very minimal in recent versions.

An idea I had, which I would like feedback on is having a configuration
picker, rather than a list of preconfigured container/images. Kind of along
the lines of Fedora's Revisor project [1]. You could mix and match
depending on the configuration you want to use and a customized
image/container is created for you. Of course, the feasibility of this is
an open question...

Honestly, if you ask me, this one project could probably be broken up into
multiple projects, each with a different end goal. Docker brings in a very
interesting set of things to play with, and it would be great if some of
the mentors could provide more feedback on what the end goal of this
specific GSoC project is. :)

Thanks

[1] http://revisor.fedoraunity.org/

Hi Xiao, and welcome!

> Some thoughts from my initial impression and I appreciate your feedback:
> > ?- The project ?uses?? ?spark 0.9.1 while the latest version? of spark?
> is
> > bumped to 1.2.1.? I suppose there will be some work on upgrade it to the
> > new version.?
> >

> It'll perhaps be good to port the code to Spark 1.2.1; I can't imagine
> it'll take too much work because the Spark API has been pretty stable since
> that.
>

> > - It looks like the process is putting the data into HDFS, using spark
> the
> > exact data and writing result back to HDFS. ?Are there any design
> document
> > for this project?
> >

> Yes, but it can also work without HDFS. On a single-node cluster you can
> write directly

to the file system (I'm not sure if there is enough