Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo ha scritto:
Em Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 02:21:28PM +0000, Gerrit Renker escreveu:
| I am new of this mailing list and I am really interested in the
| measurements you are performing with DCCP.
This was more of a regression test, as there had been recent changes in
the test tree, to see that the kernel (not userspace) still performs in
a predictable way.

| Which tool are you using ? Are you using Iperf for such measurements ?
The setup is the one from
        http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Net:DCCP_Testing#Regression_testing
and, yes, it uses iperf.

| Have you ever heard about D-ITG ?

| You can find more information here:
| http://www.grid.unina.it/software/ITG
| | I am one of the authors of such platform and I have also
| performed some very preliminary tests with DCCP.
| | I would be very glad to have your opinion on that and I'm very interested
| in improving its features, also with specific regard to the support of
| transport protocols.
| It is a very nice tool with many features. I only ran simple tests with it (version 2.6),
again only as basic sanity tests -- the throughput result was similar to the
one tested with
iperf.

I think that the tool has more to offer and can help improve/extend DCCP
testing.
Here is my list of points, hoping that the others will add theirs, too:

 * would be good to have a standardised set of scripts, for
comparison/benchmarking

 * the built-in VoIP module only works for UDP -- is it possible to port this
to DCCP?
* as per previous email, more complex traffic scenarios would be good, in particular
   - switching on/off background traffic at times to observe
TCP/flow-friendliness
- running multiple DCCP flows in parallel and at overlapping times

Does this tool records results in a database keyed by kernel
version/buildid for us to use it as a regression tool?

No, it does not record the results in a database. This feature has to be added by using
some perl-like scripts.

Something that would produce results around these lines:

"WARNING: test #23 counter #3 variance bigger than specified since the
last kernel tested (git cset 55ed793afb4a8025d33a8e6a5f2f89d5ac4d8432)!"

Yes, we can work on building some scripts for this.

- Arnaldo

Alessio
-