I happened upon this reference of a tape of 07/27/67 at
the Merry Prankster History Project web site
(http://www.pranksterweb.org/). I asked the site owner,
Rick Dodgson, for the poster's email address and,
understandably, he declined but said that he would
foward my request to Hillel. Anyone else aware of this
tape?

Hillel Resner: "I can't believe Kesey is gone. I always
thought of him as immortal, permanent...sort of a head
on the Mt. Rushmore of the '60s (you can imagine the
other heads yourself.) I never actually knew Kesey,
though I crossed his path frequently back then. I and
some fellow-travelers ran a dance emporium on Haight
Street from '66-'69, called the Straight Theater. And
one of the most memorable events that ever transpired
there (and there were many, believe me) was the Grateful
Dead's performance on our opening night in July, 1967.
The Dead, as always, were their electric Kool-Aid
selves... but what made it so memorable, was the sudden
appearance from the audience of Neal Cassady, who took
the stage while the band was in the middle of "Love
Light" (at least I think that was the song--someone else
who was there may remember it differently.) While the
band riffed the song's main chords behind him, Neal
(shirtless, sweat glistening on his body) proceeded to
deliver a soliloquy as only he could--the most amazing
stream of consciousness rap that seemed to go on for
half an hour, thoughout which the band simply strummed
and noodled and jammed, while Neal plugged into his
memories, visions and observations of the passing scene.
We stll have the tape, and it puts me right there
whenever I hear it. I don't think Kesey was on stage
that night, but I'm sure he was there, doing what he did
best--encouraging people to let it all hang out. Peace,
Kesey--you are now Further than the rest of us...but
we'll catch up with you down the road"