Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:21:33 +0800 From: "Alex Allan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: Never Trust A Woman

Intriguing thought: should the title of "Never Trust A Woman" really be
"Goin' To The Country"?!

I've been browsing round the copyright section of the Library of Congress.
The Brent Mydland stuff is pretty confusing, but I've tried to make sense of
it in the extracts below.

I'm not clear about the significance of titles registered with the Library
of Congress for copyright as compared to those registered with ASCAP/BMI or
indeed those used on CDs. My layman's suspicion is that what is significant
for copyright is the work itself, rather than the title. There's also the
oddity that in some cases the title in the Library of Congress database is
different from the title on the copyright application (for reasons that
aren't clear to me).
FWIW, titles aren't "copyrightable" (is that a word?). That's why there can be several songs, books, etc. with the same title (for instance, both GD and CSN have songs named "Dark Star"). Alex's "layman's suspicion" is correct--it's the content that is copyrighted . This is not to say that there isn't a "correct" title, or a particular one that was on the material submitted for copyright.

Hair-splitting from a librarian,
Richard

---