The "British bloke" is certainly Sam Cutler, the Dead's road manager at
the time. Bill, where was the Crossman review published?

Michael

<<Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 10:58:04 -0500
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 11/23/70

    The Chip Crossman review of the 11/23/70 show in the East Village
Other has been cited to support the date and venue of the recording that
has circulated for years as being at the Anderson Theater on 11/23/70. A
careful reading of the review would seem to indicate otherwise. 1)
Crossman refers to the m.c. as "wearing a brown suit with a British
accent to match" and later on as "the British bloke again telling
everybody that's all for tonight". Bill Graham, who clearly introduces
the Dead, could not be mistaken for a Brit. 2) Crossland reports that
Weir sings Mama Tried during the New Riders set. It is during the Dead
set on the recording. 3) For the start of the Dead show, Crossland
writes "I think the first three songs were new ones, because I hadn't
heard them before. Everyone was yelling for Casey Jones and telling
Garcia to turn up his amp..." Later, Crossland writes "By the time the
Dead lumbered into Casey Jones I was beginning to feel emptied out..."
Casey Jones i!
 s the first song of the show on the recording. 4) Crossland mentions
the Dead playing Bobby McGee and Midnight Hour. 5) No mention whatsoever
of Traffic members or Hot Tuna members. In fact Traffic played with Cat
Stevens at Kleinhan's Music Hall in Buffalo on 11/23/70.
No doubt that Crossland is reporting on a Dead show at the Anderson on
11/23/70. The recording, however, is not that show. A dating and venue
of 11/16/70 at Fillmore East is more likely, and supported by
eyewitnesses and a review in the Night Owl Reporter column of the N.Y.
Daily News issue on 11/18/70.>>