The Chip Crossman review of the 11/23/70 show in the East Village Other has been
cited to support the date and venue of the recording that has circulated for years as
being at the Anderson Theater on 11/23/70. A careful reading of the review would seem
to indicate otherwise. 1) Crossman refers to the m.c. as "wearing a brown suit with a
British accent to match" and later on as "the British bloke again telling everybody
that's all for tonight". Bill Graham, who clearly introduces the Dead, could not be
mistaken for a Brit. 2) Crossland reports that Weir sings Mama Tried during the New
Riders set. It is during the Dead set on the recording. 3) For the start of the Dead
show, Crossland writes "I think the first three songs were new ones, because I hadn't
heard them before. Everyone was yelling for Casey Jones and telling Garcia to turn up
his amp..." Later, Crossland writes "By the time the Dead lumbered into Casey Jones I
was beginning to feel emptied out..." Casey Jones i!
 s the first song of the show on the recording. 4) Crossland mentions the Dead playing
Bobby McGee and Midnight Hour. 5) No mention whatsoever of Traffic members or Hot Tuna
members. In fact Traffic played with Cat Stevens at Kleinhan's Music Hall in Buffalo
on 11/23/70.
No doubt that Crossland is reporting on a Dead show at the Anderson on 11/23/70. The
recording, however, is not that show. A dating and venue of 11/16/70 at Fillmore East
is more likely, and supported by eyewitnesses and a review in the Night Owl Reporter
column of the N.Y. Daily News issue on 11/18/70.