Dear Prof. Bangerth and Jean-Paul,

What I understood so far is, that the Utilities::MPI::max() function
computes the maximum between all processors for each row of my vector. This
means if I have a vector of 20 entries, each entry has 8 values distributed
on 8 cores for instance. As a result, I get 20 maximum values again, but
this time they are maximal and processor independent.

Hence, my question now is how am I able to check where the maximum value
comes from? Is it possible to output the processor number of the maximum
value for each row?
My aim is to find the node where the maximum value exists. This is somehow
cumbersome in parallel mode since I have to store information about the
current CPU core, cell ID and node number. Then somehow use my previously
shown distance function in C++ and check the position of the maximum value
with regard to the geometry structure I stored.

Is there a more elegant way to solve my problem than what I suggested in
deal.II?

Thank you for your kind assistance so far :)
And hopefully you overlook my style of approaching things in this rather
silly and questionable way.

Kind regards,
Seyed Ali