On 03/15/2017 08:31 AM, mbranag wrote:

1>deal_II.g.lib(data_out_base.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol
_compress2 referenced in function "...

This is a function in zlib, a compression library. We only call it if we could find zlib during the run of cmake, and have the following code at the top of the file:

#ifdef DEAL_II_WITH_ZLIB
#  include <zlib.h>
#endif

The fact that this code compiled to begin with means that the header file zlib.h exists on your system. It's not clear to me, however, why it doesn't link.

When you compile the tutorial program, can you do
  make VERBOSE=1
to get the complete command line for the linker? Or get this information in some other way when linking the tutorial? I'm asking because there should be an indication that it actually links with the zlib and I'd like to understand how exactly it does that and what may go wrong in the process.