On 10/05/2017 03:05 AM, Anna Avdeeva wrote:
*
*
2) For the file with the solution values at the receiver locations I think I followed the approach implemented in ASPECT. So I go through all the receivers look for the point value and then check how many processors found this point and if more then one I sum the values across all processors and divide by the number of processors the point was found at. I write this values into a std::vector<Vector<double> > current_field_values(n_Rc, Vector<double>(2 * (dim + dim)));

To compute the point value I use the deal.ii function VectorTools::point_value, and I suspect I am using it wrong:
I call it in the following way
VectorTools::point_value(dof_handler, *locally_relevant_solution*, receiver_locations[p], current_point_values[p]);

After this call I write the values on the screen and I see that the value of the Ez at the surface of the earth is far from 0, while it should be very small and the vtu file produced with help of postprocessor also shows a very small values there.

Do you have an idea what would be the correct call to the point value function, maybe I should not give it *locally_relevant_solution* as an input, or something else.

The code looks reasonable to me. I could only speculate, but I would suggest you evaluate the solution along a line through the domain and compare the point values you get with what you see in the visualization. (Of the solution, not of the *postprocessed* solution of course.) The two should agree, obviously, but if they don't at least you have more than one point that looks suspicious and that gives you a handle to start thinking about where the difference may come from.