On 7/22/19 1:32 AM, 'Maxi Miller' via deal.II User Group wrote:
> More or less, yes, together with how I could get the "column" vector I would
> like to apply the matrix to. It is not a problem to do that in a
> FTDT-setting,
> but I do not know how to do that in a FEM-setting.

When you say "column vector", you mean the vector of unknowns that corresponds
to one column of nodes in the mesh?

One can think of deal.II Triangulations as unstructured meshes. So extracting
a column of nodes is not a natural thing to do. But you can of course always
loop over all nodes (e.g., using DoFTools::map_dofs_to_support_points()) and
group them by the x-coordinate of their location.

How you would build this matrix? That's something we can't know without
actually seeing a formula for the operator you're thinking of.