Hi,

I have thought about the problem again and now I have a solution proposal:

      [[ u_i ]] = 0,

would I fulfill by adding entries in the constraint matrix.
E.g. u_i = u_j for each DoF pair on the boundary. I just have to figure out
the DoF indices i and j.

The average overall stress state, I want also archive with the constraint
matrix:
For the first DoF of the periodic boundary pair I would add  a constrain
like

      u_1 = A_1i u_i + A_1j u_j + ... + A_1N u_N + S_kl N_l

      u_1 = sum_i^N ( A_1i u_i ) + S_k N_l

with i=2..N (all DoF indices on the periodic boundary), the prescribed
stress tensor S and a global normal vector of the boundary N.
And the coefficients are the the calculated by

      A_ij = C_ijkl sym(u_k,l) n_j  Jwxq

on the corresponding faces by iterating in standard fashion over all
cells/faces and evaluating the terms with via FEFaceValues.
[[ t_i n_i ]] = 0 should thereby be indirectly satisfied.

But I'm not sure if the evaluating the coefficients in such a manner, leads
in the end to the wanted behavior of the system (stress fluctuations on the
boundaries but an average prescribed stress tensor).
Is it a good idea to include coefficients in the constraint matrix that
depends on some shape function. I thought those belonged in the system
matrix.
Can this still work?

Another issue is how to make this concept work in a parallel context: Which
process must know about which DoF?

Regards,
Lukas Schöller