Dear Behrooz,

The problem here is that your Trilinos installation includes the SEACASChaco package. We'd discovered that there's a common global symbol that both ADOL-C and Trilinos-SEACASChaco emit, which causes some very strange issues when using ADOL-C. Naturally, we had to make sure that nobody runs into these troubles, because the symptoms of the issue are not indicative of the underlying problem and are incredibly difficult to debug. So although deal.II is picking up the ADOL-C library, deal.II also detects that Trilinos has the SEACASChaco module enabled and therefore is doing the safe thing by having the configuration process fail with an error.

I'm betting that you have a slightly old version of Spack, because we have some conflicts in place to prevent this "illegal" combination of packages / package variants from being installed. You can see these restrictions here: https://github.com/spack/spack/blob/develop/var/spack/repos/builtin/packages/dealii/package.py#L273-L284 <https://github.com/spack/spack/blob/develop/var/spack/repos/builtin/packages/dealii/package.py#L273-L284> The way to fix the problem is by recompiling Trilinos without this package (variant, in Spack parlance) enabled. You can do this in the following way:
spack install dealii@9.2+adol-c+trilinos ^trilinos~chaco

You'll note that it's also not possible to enable both ADOL-C and Netcdf, for the same reason, so you actually want to be even more restrictive: spack install dealii@9.2+adol-c+trilinos~netcdf ^trilinos~chaco~exodus~netcdf~pnetcdf

I hope that this helps you getting deal.II installed through Spack.

Best,
Jean-Paul