Hi Martin,
Multiple IDEs work very well with Deal.II. As long as your IDE has good
CMAKE support, compiling deal.II with it is a joke.
Some IDEs which me and my colleagues have found work very well in the
present case:
- Jetbrains CLION (this one is not free, but for a reason I don't
understand it's by far the one my students prefer to use. It is super nice
though with very good Cmake integration)
- QTCreator (which is free and has amazing cmake integration. It is not
difficult to set-up)

And then you could use a text editor with IDE-like capacities like VSCode
which, especially with the newer version of cmake extensions, works
amazingly well. As long as your deal.II environment variable is set-up
correctly, I have found that you can naviguate through your own code and
the deal.II library in mere seconds. It is truly easy to use once set-up.

I feel that's the challenge with these tools. Once set-up, they are amazing
and they improve your workflow a lot (e.g. using VSCode on your machine to
code something in a WSL or a virtual machine is an amazingly productive way
of working under Windows), but they are difficult to set-up :)

Good luck!
Bruno B

>>> https://www.math.colostate.edu/~bangerth/videos.676.7.html
>>> https://www.math.colostate.edu/~bangerth/videos.676.8.html