Hi,

I recently started using VS code with deal.ii. I found it very easy to work
with, especially when you have a wsl installation.
All you need to do is follow the instructions on these pages -
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/cpp/config-wsl
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/cpp/cmake-linux

VS code actually looks through the files in your directory and suggests
extensions you would need.

Best,
Raghunandan.