Dear Truong,
My understanding is that the triangulation in deal.II works like a
quad/oct-forest.That is, the mesh that is generated or read serves as the
forest and each cell is a tree. Consequently, it is not possible to coarsen
a mesh more than it's initial configuration.

For a lot of meshes generated by deal.II, this is not a problem since they
contain a very low number of cells (for example, a cubic grid has 1 cell in
it's coarsest level, hence it is a forest with once tree). However, if you
read your mesh from an external source, you cannot make it coarser than it
is when you have read it.

My suggestions would be to make a coarse abacus mesh, then you refine it
within deal.II. This way you would have a coarsest level with as few cell a
possible, then you could refine it adaptively. As far as I know, it is not
possible to coarsen a mesh below it's level 0, because this would imply
"merging cell".

I hope that was sufficiently clear.
Best of luck!
Bruno