Friends

It is with deep sorrow that we announce the passing of Delbert Tibbs. Delbert was Florida’s 4th exonerated Death Row survivor. He was a seminarian and warrior-poet for peace, justice, and humanity. His leadership and writings touched many thousands. He was the lead character in the award-winning play, “The Exonerated.” Like most of Florida’s 24 exonerated Death Row survivors, he received no compensation from the state. His time on Death Row may have robbed him of his health, but it could not take his grace, dignity, and spirit. Delbert fought tirelessly to abolish the Death Penalty. He did not live to see it end in Florida, the state that wrongfully sentenced him and so many other innocent people to death. He had many friends and colleagues and will be greatly missed. We will remember and pay tribute to him in the struggle to end executions in our time.

“One for Ten” recently made a 6 minute video of Delbert Tibbs.

Pete Seeger wrote this song while Delbert was on Florida’s Death Row:

"Delbert Tibbs" by Pete Seeger

"I'm sitting here on Death Row, Delbert Tibbs my name.
Say, won't somebody listen to how that I been framed?
Don't they know my jury was all white?
Don't they know the facts they kept from light?

I need a poem to tell how I been framed
I need a poem to expose this racist game
Say, don't we all need a poem to break these iron bars?
Wouldn't you like a poem to help you see the stars?

Well, the state of Florida is just one of many.
But the state of slavery! Don't we wish there'd never been any?
Don't we wish slavery never existed nor never was?
But slavery was here. Now we can't say, "Becuz, becuz, becuz."

Strange, strange, now I've met some beautiful people.
Some meet and greet upon the street, some gather under a steeple.
Some call 'emselves one thing, some call 'emselves another
But now I know! I do have Sisters and Brothers.

They 're helping me write a poem to tell how I been framed
A truthful poem to expose this racist game.
Say don't we all need a poem to break these iron bars?
Wouldn't you like a poem to help you see the stars?

"I believe life is endless. We can't talk about life without talking about death; we can't talk
about death without talking about life." - Delbert Tibbs

Sent by:

Mark Elliott

Executive Director

Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty, fadp.org

Tampa, FL 33682

Floridians for Alternatives to the Death Penalty is a coalition of organizations and individuals
united to abolish the Death Penalty in Florida.

FADP works to build a strong, diverse, statewide grassroots movement which:

* Opposes executions

* Supports reforms aimed at reducing the application of the Death Penalty until it is abolished

* Protects the humanity of all persons impacted by the Death Penalty

* Educates Floridians about the Death Penalty

* Provides concrete action steps for individuals and groups