July 22

BRUNEI/UNITED KINGDOM:

School chief defends Brunei's death penalty for gays and says they should face UK exile

A former chairman of governors at a school in Birmingham has defended the Sultan of Brunei's death penalty for gay citizens.

Shahid Akmal, who was the chairman of governors at Nansen Primary School until last week, told an undercover Mirror reporter: "It's his right and it's his country, so why shouldn't he?"

The Mirror reports Mr Akmal defended jailing or exiling gay people and adulterers under Sharia law as a "moral position to hold".

He said that gay people, adulterers and "fornicators" who have sex outside marriage should face exile.

"The Koranic concept is that anyone who causes disruption in the community, even if you put them in prison, from prison they can continue to cause disruption as well," he said.

"So the best thing to do is to actually exile them so that the community can remain solid and united. It's a moral position to hold."

Mr Akmal also expressed racist and sexist views.

He claimed that "white women have the least amount of morals" and that women are "emotionally weaker" than men.

Mr Akmal appeared to defend British nationals fighting in Syria and Iraq as "freedom fighters".

His school, Nansen primary, is among several in Birmingham to have been criticised in a report by former counter-terrorism police officer Peter Clarke, over fears about Islamic radicalism.

Last week, a scathing assessment by education watchdog Ofsted found that Nansen primary's board of governors were "overly controlling".

Music had been removed from the timetable and children were "not prepared for life in modern Britain".

Mr Akmal and Nansen primary has denied any wrongdoing.

In April, Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah gave approval to a new penal code in Brunei that calls for death by stoning for same-sex sexual activity.

A boycott campaign of the Sultan's international hotel chain, backed by several celebrities, was launched in response.

(source: Pink News)

SINGAPORE:

Death Penalty - Resumes Executions

The Singapore Working Group on the Death Penalty Statement on executions carried out on the 18th of July 2014.

The Singapore Working Group on the Death Penalty deeply regrets, and is gravely disappointed at the executions of 2 individuals that took place today, 18th of July 2014. Inmates Foong Chee Peng, 48, and Tang Hai Liang, 36, were hanged at dawn this morning. Both men were convicted of drug trafficking.

These 2 executions brings to an end the moratorium that has been in place since July 2011, when the government commenced an internal review of the mandatory death penalty laws. This review took place without any public consultation nor has it been made available for public scrutiny. Subsequently, the changes were passed by Parliament in the exact form proposed by the government in July 2012, despite various warnings about their potential problems.

We also wish to highlight that there is an ongoing application filed by another drug offender before the Supreme Court, challenging the validity of section 33B of the Misuse of Drugs Act because it violates Article 12 of our Constitution. The hearing is fixed before the Court of Appeal on the 18th of August later this year.

Given the fact that the constitutional challenge to the amendments could have a potential bearing on the lawfulness of Foong and Tang's executions, it was deeply unjust to have executed them before the constitutional challenge was decided.

The injustice is compounded by the fact that we had written to the President and the Minister of Home Affairs yesterday to highlight this situation and urged for an urgent stay of execution until our courts have decided on this constitutional challenge at the very least.

Finally, the executions are a regrettable step backwards for Singapore. The death penalty has not been proven to be a more useful deterrent against crime than alternative forms of punishment. Moreover, once carried out, miscarriages of justice cannot be remedied.

We therefore reiterate our calls for the government to impose a moratorium on all executions and move towards the abolition of capital punishment in Singapore.

(source: Scoop News)

MALAYSIA:

Suhakam hopeful mandatory death penalty will be abolished

Human Rights Commission of Malaysia (Suhakam) is in favour of Malaysia joining a list of countries which have outlawed the mandatory death penalty, especially on drug traffickers.

Its vice-chairman, Dr Khaw Lake Tee is optimistic that officers of the Attorney-General's Chambers who are currently undertaking a comprehensive study on the matter, will come up with positive recommendation by year-end.

"Let's hope something positive will come out of this, since not all those prosecuted in courts are members of drug syndicates or cartels," he noted.

During a media briefing on Malaysia's Second Universal Periodic Review (UPR) at the Suhakam headquarters here, he said the government had partially agreed on outlawing the mandatory death sentence which was one of the recommendations proposed by the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC).

She said Suhakam had been working with the Malaysian Bar Council, members of parliament, foreign ministry and other stakeholders on the need for courts (judges) to be given discretionary powers in imposing much more appropriate sentences, including life sentences.

UPR is a mechanism established by the UNHRC to improve human rights situation in each of the 193 UN member states by reviewing their human rights records every 4 1/2 years.

Although she agreed that Malaysia was one of the major drug transit points where authorities needed to come hard on drug traffickers, she noted that it should also be taken into consideration that a number of cases of innocent people, including women, were lured as drug mules.

Under Malaysian law, offences related to drugs, murder and waging war against the ruler or Yang-Di-pertuan Agong carried mandatory death sentences.

On the possibility of Malaysia voluntarily imposing a moratorium on the death penalty, Khaw said the government did not support the idea since some countries which previously carried out such a move had recently reintroduced its application.

The Suhakam vice-chairman said Malaysia had accepted 150 out of 232 recommendations received from member states.

Perusing on some of the recommendations, Khaw said the Government accepted in allocating more funds for the promotion of the rights of persons with disabilities, particularly in the areas of employment, education and housing.

(source: Bernama)

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES:

UAE steps up fight against terror with tough law

A new draft law to combat terrorism is one step closer to reality after it was approved by members of the Federal National Council on Monday.

The law will usher in new security measures to counter a sweeping range of crimes deemed as acts of terror.The government fast-tracked the draft law which establishes "terrorist" capital offences which result in the death of a victim including attacks on a head of state or his family or a representative or officer of a state; coerced recruitment of individuals into a "terrorist" organisation; hijacking; hostage-taking; infringement of diplomatic or consular premises in committing a "terrorist" act; use of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons and assaulting security forces.

Convicted terrorists will face capital punishment, life imprisonment and fines of up to Dh100 million, according to a new legislation.

The draft law defines a terrorist offence as "any action or inaction made crime by this law and every action or inaction made crime by any other law if they are carried out for a terrorist cause".

A terrorist intent is established by a direct or indirect terrorist result or when an offender knows that the action or inaction leads, in its nature or context, to terrorist results. Terrorist results include inciting fear among a group of people, killing them, or causing them serious physical injury, or inflicting substantial damage to property or the environment, or disrupting security of the international community, or opposing the country, or influencing the public authorities of the country or another country or international organisation while discharging its duties, or receiving a privilege from the country or another country or an international organisation, according to the draft law.

The UAE is a signatory to 13 international treaties on terrorism.

Ali Jasem, a veteran member of the House from Umm Al Quwain, said that a terrorism-related case shall neither expire nor the sentence imposed be dropped by prescription.

The draft law would also authorise the Cabinet to set up lists of designated terrorist organisations and persons.

The Cabinet would also establish counselling centres where convicted terrorists will receive intensive religious and welfare counselling in jails in a programme targeted against future threats posed by those holding extremist views, according to the draft law, a copy of which was obtained by Gulf News.

Every legal person whose representatives, managers or agents commit or contribute to the commission of any of the terrorist offences provided in the draft law, would receive a fine ranging between Dh1 million and Dh100 million.

A committee to be named The National Committee for Combating Terrorism is suggested to be established, and a decision towards its establishment would be made by the Cabinet.

The draft law states that an attempt on the life of the president of the state, the vice-president, members of the Supreme Council, crown princes, deputy rulers or members of their families will be punishable with the death sentence.

Life or provisional imprisonment will be imposed on those convicted of committing an attempt on the life of persons covered by international protection.

The penalty for compelling the president of the State, the vice-president, the prime minister, a minister, speaker and members of the FNC to take or refrain from an action will be life imprisonment.

Taking or refraining from carrying out an action that threatens the security of the country, its integrity or sovereignty will be a crime punishable by the death penalty or life imprisonment. The same penalty will be imposed on those convicted of committing or refraining from taking any such action with the intent to overthrow the government, suspend any article of the constitution, stop any public institution from discharging its responsibilities or harm national unity or social peace.

For equal criminal acts, offenders with terrorist intent will receive a much greater penalty than those without.

A person need only threaten, incite or plan any terrorist act to be prosecuted as a terrorist and punished with the same penalty for perpetrators of these acts, states the bill, fast-tracked by the government.

Signing up to a terrorist organisation will be punished with the death penalty, while an attempt to join any such organisation will cost the offender a life imprisonment, states the draft law.

Capital punishment or life imprisonment is the penalty for a person who commissions or runs a training centre for terrorist operations.

"Whoever seeks or communicates with a foreign state, terrorist organisation or with anyone who works for their interests, to commit any terrorist act, shall be punished with imprisonment for life while the death penalty will be imposed if the terrorist act has been carried out," the bill suggests.

The bill makes it a crime punishable with up to 10 years' jail for any person who does not provide authorities with information relating to any terrorist activity.

(source: Gulf News)

*****************

Man given death penalty by Dubai court for killing his employer----Pakistani clerk was given death penalty in absentia for murdering and robbing his employer

MR, a 31-year-old Pakistani clerk who killed his employer and robbed him before fleeing the country, was awarded death penalty in absentia by the Dubai Criminal Court of First Instance.

The court however acquitted the convict's compatriot MA, 36, technician, due to lack of evidence.

The Dubai Prosecution had accused the 2 men of killing their employer and stealing Dh80,000 through forged cheques in addition to Dh92,000 that they withdrew by using his ATM card.

The prosecution charged that the 2 had planned to kill IR and prepared a knife and plastic bags prior to committing the crime in May 2009.

The court records show that the victim died after MR stabbed him on different parts of his body.

Then the 2 accused put the victim's body in a plastic bag and left it in a store after stealing his wallet and 2 cheques.

MR forged the victim's signature on 2 cheques and withdrew Dh80,000. He also used the victim's ATM card and withdrew Dh92,499.

The company's 24-year-old Pakistani transport supervisor told investigators that he saw his employer last time at 8.30pm on May 28, 2009 when he left the office.

"On Saturday May 30, 2009, I received a call from the clerk, MR, who told me that he is in the office and nobody had come to office yet. After about an hour and a half, I went to the office and as the company's owner was not there. I asked the clerk about our employer. He told me that our employer is sick and will not come to the office. We worked normally on that day till 8pm we all left the office.

"Next day, I was shocked to see the clerk, MR, holding company's keys and the employer's mobile phone. He told me that our employer had left for Pakistan to finish some urgent matters.

"After this short talk, the clerk left the office and didn't come in the afternoon. We suspected him because he did not answer our phone calls," the transport supervisor told investigators.

On the following day, when the clerk did not come to office, the company's staff became suspicious and informed the police.

"We learnt from police that the clerk, MR, is outside the country but our employer had not left the country at all. This information refuted what the clerk had told us about the employer travelling abroad for an urgent matter. The employer was absent for the past 3 days," said the supervisor.

Police immediately launched the investigation.

A week later, police found the body of the employer and discovered that the 2 cheques of Dh80,000 value were collected. In addition to that money was withdrawn from the employer's account.

Other workers made corroborative testimonies that the clerk was seen running the company and possessing the keys and the employer's mobile phone.

A worker told investigator that he saw the clerk having the keys of the office and the mobile phone of the employer.

"I asked the clerk if he had taken over the company and he answered me affirmatively. He also paid the salaries to the staff. On top of that he asked me to hand over the passport to the technician, MA, who was also paid Dh1,000 on top of his salary as he had to travel to Pakistan."

Other workers repeated similar testimonies saying that both the clerk and the technician did not accompany them for the Friday prayer on that day their employer went missing.

Police identified body of the victim from his fingerprints and identified the clerk MR as prime suspect. Camera footage showed MR along with another person withdrawing money from the victim's account.

In 2013, police extradited the technician, MA, from Pakistan. He denied killing their employer or helping MR to commit the murder.

"While I was going to perform Friday prayer, MR and the victim asked me to accompany them. So I went with them to a large store where the victim started taking measurements. I was shocked when MR pulled a knife he was hiding under his dress and stabbed our employer with while the latter was taking measurements.

"MR then threatened to kill me if I do not help him to put the body in a big sack that he had brought with him. He took our employer's mobile and keys before putting the body in the sack and left it in the store.

"Next day I told MR that I want to leave the country so he paid me Dh10,000, and gave me an air-ticket and my passport," MA told the police.

Forensic reported that the wounds on the victim's face happened after his death which made it difficult to identify him.

It also reported that the victim sustained fatal stabs in his body and neck had also been slit.

(source: emirates247)