On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:57 AM Nicolas Dandrimont <ol...@debian.org> wrote:

> Ohai,
>
> * Wouter Verhelst <wou...@debian.org> [2019-09-11 12:56:40 +0200]:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > (said this on IRC too, but for the benefit of those who don't follow
> that...)
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 10, 2019 at 05:53:24PM +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> > > Hey,
> > >
> > > We're running video for a Debian conference in Switzerland two
> weekends after
> > > PyConZA.
> >
> > Yeah, that's fairly close.
> >
> > > If the equipment needs overlap, I'm not too confident that shipping
> > > our hardware halfway around the world will work out considering postal
> and
> > > customs delays as well as just plain volunteer delays, etc.
> >
> > PyConZA is considering to buy their own blackmagic cards. They are
> > planning to rent computers and cameras, so that shouldn't be an issue.
> >
> > So if that happens, this would only require the opsises, or something to
> > replace them.
>
> How many of them? I only have two of them in Paris, and to be confident I
> kinda
> need two in Vaumarcus.
>
> > > We also don't have a good story for doing temporary imports using
> commercial
> > > shipment companies. I don't think I'll be able to come up with one in
> less
> > > than a month (but someone should definitely feel free to try).
> >
> > Can you clarify what the issue here is?
>
> "Commercial off the shelf" (UPS/FedEx/...) shipping companies don't know
> how to
> handle temporary import of goods in a country. You'll have to pay VAT (and
> the
> hefty customs management fees) on the declared value of the goods on entry
> in
> the country of destination, and again when entering back the country of
> origin
> (and then, if you're bored, you get to argue with both tax offices that the
> goods have been reexported/reimported to get that reimbursed).
>
> The single quote that I obtained for so-called "Carnet shipment services"
> (where the shipment company handles the temporary import procedure) to ZA,
> back
> in 2016, was...  prohibitive (multiple times what UPS had quoted, which was
> even more than just getting extra luggage).

A few years ago I've spent some time looking into this and gave up. I
remember being appalled by such fees too, and realized these companies are
optimized for large scale commercial transactions, not small almost
personal use.

I remember one company quoting $1000 + x% of estimated value just to
prepare the paperwork for me to drive equipment in my car to Canada.  I did
it myself: spend an hour or 2 to find the form, print, fill it out, hand it
to a customs agent as I crossed the border.

Similar experience with carnet service.  quick google shows $230 for
$10,000 worth, but I'm pretty sure there more fees for what is needed to
get stuff to PyConZA on time.

quick google found these:
https://www.uscib.org/register-and-apply-ud-859/
https://www.atacarnet.com/fees