On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 2:03 PM Carl Karsten <c...@nextdayvideo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 6:57 AM Nicolas Dandrimont <ol...@debian.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Ohai,
>>
>> * Wouter Verhelst <wou...@debian.org> [2019-09-11 12:56:40 +0200]:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > (said this on IRC too, but for the benefit of those who don't follow
>> that...)

>> weekends after
>> >
>> > Yeah, that's fairly close.

>> postal and
>> >
>> > PyConZA is considering to buy their own blackmagic cards. They are
>> > planning to rent computers and cameras, so that shouldn't be an issue.
>> >
>> > So if that happens, this would only require the opsises, or something to
>> > replace them.
>>
>> How many of them? I only have two of them in Paris, and to be confident I
>> kinda
>> need two in Vaumarcus.

>> commercial
>> less
>> >
>> > Can you clarify what the issue here is?
>>
>> "Commercial off the shelf" (UPS/FedEx/...) shipping companies don't know
>> how to
>> handle temporary import of goods in a country. You'll have to pay VAT
>> (and the
>> hefty customs management fees) on the declared value of the goods on
>> entry in
>> the country of destination, and again when entering back the country of
>> origin
>> (and then, if you're bored, you get to argue with both tax offices that
>> the
>> goods have been reexported/reimported to get that reimbursed).
>>
>> The single quote that I obtained for so-called "Carnet shipment services"
>> (where the shipment company handles the temporary import procedure) to
>> ZA, back
>> in 2016, was...  prohibitive (multiple times what UPS had quoted, which
>> was
>> even more than just getting extra luggage).
>>

> A few years ago I've spent some time looking into this and gave up. I
> remember being appalled by such fees too, and realized these companies are
> optimized for large scale commercial transactions, not small almost
> personal use.
>
> I remember one company quoting $1000 + x% of estimated value just to
> prepare the paperwork for me to drive equipment in my car to Canada.

I did it myself: spend an hour or 2 to find the form, print, fill it out,
> hand it to a customs agent as I crossed the border.

Note: what I did myself was not carnet - it was form ABC-123 something that
only the US cares about so I won't have to pay to bring the equipment back
into the US,

> Similar experience with carnet service.  quick google shows $230 for
> $10,000 worth, but I'm pretty sure there more fees for what is needed to
> get stuff to PyConZA on time.
>
> quick google found these:
> https://www.uscib.org/register-and-apply-ud-859/
> https://www.atacarnet.com/fees

Just talked to one - $600 for carnet, which includes a bond that covers
taxes/tarifs etc for $1200 worth of stuff being used and returned.
Shipping will be it's own fee.

--
Carl K