Is the SCSI card plugged into one of the 64-bit slots?

On my 600au, non-Digital PCI cards do not seem to work
in the 64-bit slots, PCI bus 0; in fact, SRM has
rejected many PCI devices I've tried in the long slots
and dmesg indicates that the kernel doesn't
recognize/initialize correctly those devices that SRM
didn't complain about.

I successfully use a 53c875 and graphics cards in the
32-bit slots on PCI bus 1 (after the PCI-PCI bridge
according to the -au docs).

I may be lucky but I haven't noticed a problem between
2.2.20 and 2.4.18.

good luck,
sousa