On (21/04/05 10:02), Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> I'm slowly working up the courage to rip out my beautifully functioning
> Sarge 2.6.8 and install Amd64. I've been reading the AMD64 Howto over
> and over until I get the feeling I know what I'm doing. In the howto I see:
> Installing into a chroot
> Before you start
>
> Before you start bootstrapping the pure64 port into a chroot, make sure
> you are already running a 64bit kernel, or boot from a Debian-Installer
> CD in order to accomplish the following steps.
>
> If you already have an existing i386 Debian installation, you can
> install the amd64 kernels found in the archive.
> Does the "existing i386 Debian installation" mean for example, my Sarge?
> "the amd64 kernels found in the archive". Which archive? On the i386
> Debian installation? (surely not), on the CD? on the sources.list via
> aptitude?
Hi Jonathan

I did a fresh amd64 install on a separate partition and then chrooted
the 32bit system.  However, my reading of the Howto suggests that you
can install a 64 chroot from your 32bit system.  Which means you won't
lose your current install.

All of the 64bit stuff is on the alioth mirror and you will need thatin
your sources.list to set up the chroot, I believe.

I've not done this but others may have ;)

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...