I have a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, with 2 300Gig as RAID-1 on the Silicon Image 3114, SATA controller a 74G Raptor SATA on the nVidia SATA and 250G ATA on IDE Primary
master.

A. E. Lawrence is correct on the disk enumeration issue. I am running 2.6.12-686-smp with udev 0.87-1 and the disk enumeration is quite flaky as some times it boots properly and other times not. udev also has a problem with my Radeon 7000VE in that it does not create the frame buffer devices. It also had problems with the Marvel Yukon 1G ethernet net
interface until I disabled it from BIOS.

So for now I am running 2.6.12-386 with an older udev.

If anyone else is having similar issues with the ASUS A8N-SLI Premium, I'd be willing to work together on getting these issues resolved. I am new to 'udev' and do not have
a great understanding of what is due my ignorance or to bugs.

Pete

A E Lawrence wrote:

Hendrik Tews wrote:

Dear all,

does anybody have experiences with the ASUS A8N-SLI Motherboard
or its Deluxe variant? Does Debian run out of the box on it?

I did have a few problems with disc enumeration order differing between install and sarge, but this was on a fairly complex system with 4 SATA drives, a couple of genuine scsi drives and a legacy PATA (ie IDE) drive.

The grub menu written by the installer tried to boot from the wrong disc (because of said enumeration difference), so I used a grub floppy and edited the entries on the first boot, and then changed them permanently.

Most people with simpler systems have no problems. Unless my memory is failing, Jo is not right in recommending the Via K8T890: it is a Nvidia nforce4 chipset.

Maybe Len's 2.6.12 installer might get around the problems that I saw: I expect that the disc enumeration will match.

ael

   ___________   Pete Klemm           Embedded Systems Research,INC
  / __/ __/ _ \  2604 San Mateo Dr.   Software Consultant
 / _/_\ \/ , _/  Plainfield, IL 60586 email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
/___/___/_/|_|   Voice: 815-436-4328  http://www.esysr.com
                 Cell:  815-483-3472  Fax: 815-436-4328