I updated my sources.list and used mirrors from the official debian
list. (A push-primary with the lowest score in netselect). Did an
update and dist-upgrade and downloaded around 30 MB of upgrades.

Unfortunately this has not helped my problem. I still get the same
messages about nvidia-glx being uninstallable because of depending on
xserver-common which is not going to be upgraded ... etc. etc. This is
all very frustrating. I know that xorg is going through a transition
now. How can I find out what version of xorg I have installed now? I
assume that I should have xorg 7.0 now but don't know how to confirm
that.

In the meanwhile I have worked around my problem by repartitioning to
make an extra partition and installing Ubuntu Breezy (amd64). (NOTE: I
consider this a temporary work-around and not a solution) It means I
have a computer with a usable GUI and can chroot into the debian root
partition to do stuff.

Craig