On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Lennart Sorensen <
lsore...@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 07:47:06PM +0200, Jonatan Soto wrote:
> > I fact I am setting this VM's for production and staging purposes. ESXi
> > allows to create resources pools so it's possible to prioritize the usage
> of
> > resources and that fits my needs very well.
> >
> > So I believe you noticed that is a very large amount of RAM (I have only
> 4
> > physical GB) for too less daemons and you are right, but with the
> advantages
> > I explained before allows me to play fine with the memory I've defined at
> > present. In near future I will install more software on each server, like
> > databases, JVM's, etc. so the system will be fully loaded for sure.
> That's
> > why I've got alarmed when I saw the memory consumptions for each server.
> >
> > I am totally conscious that I should upgrade RAM before I publish the
> > server.
>
> Since you are running ESXi, it is actually quite possible for it to
> tell the guest (through the balloon driver) to give back some memory,
> which will show in the guest as used memory.

Sorry Lennart, I don't get your point. Perhaps is because I am using the
free version of ESXi and this option is not available.

> Check the vmware memory statistics and see if it has done that to
> the guests.

I checked it out yesterday and I found a more 'realistic' memory usage than
the shown with top or free. I would like to post links containing the
exported images of the charts but I don't know why some fields (the
important ones) are not shown. I must go to the traditional way, printScreen
+ gimp...I also can post memory usage data exported in excel format if it is
the interest of somebody. I will do it ASAP.

Well, I'm actually a bit confused here. I don't know in what direction
should I go, I mean if I should investigate further and try to find an
explanation for this or reinstall everything using a backported kernel or
continuing the installation of the services and let's see what happens. Note
that I am running out of time that's why I tried the official stable release
because I thougth it will be pretty straightforward.

For now I am thinking to reboot every server, except Server4 which is
running correctly (at least the memory usage showed seems reasonable to me),
and then observe how they behave.

Thanks a lot for your help.