At this point, think about architectures. (Thanks heaven we're a little more on
topic now ;)

Especially Debian tries to support many architectures, at least as good as
resources provide.

Lennarts Operating System Troll (LOST) resulting in DLL (Distributor-Less
Linux) woul probably remove support for the minor archs. The 'linux app' market
places replacing Distributors won't take responsibility for such a difficult
time-consuming task, and the developers themselves certainly won't do it
either. I can't see any solution to this problem. The diversity of archs may
simply vanish, in last consequence.

Well, Poettering probably sees this as as a pro.

Along the existing distribution framework, a great deal of community will
vanish too.

But distributions are a place where concerned people meet and talk, and work
collaboratively. It's also a good starting point for developer newcomers. And
IMHO those 'superfluous' meetings about questions of whom to support, where to
go, or ideals and ideas like freedom in general, are a core part of the whole
thing.