Fabio Massimo Di Nitto wrote:
Hi David,

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, David Morse wrote:

Linux abu 2.4.22 #1 Sun Sep 21 16:07:44 EDT 2003 i686 unknown.
Woody with gnome 2 backport.
A few months ago I had apt-got apache before...maybe the uninstall then
wasn't clean, because ever since I've been getting mail from Cron:

  /etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
  error: error accessing /var/log/apache: No such file or directory
  error: apache:1 glob failed for /var/log/apache/*.log
  run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1

Does this help?

It clearly shows that there was a previous installation of apache that has
not been purged correctly and I am not sure if that can create the problem
you are facing.

Maybe I apt-get remove'd apache, but forgot apache-common. I'm pretty sure I didn't use a non-apt-get technique to remove.

Hey, can you mail me the default /etc/init.d/apache ?

It is inside the .deb. Just unpack it with dpkg. But i would suggest you
to use apt-get to remove/install packages other than dpkg.
Since you are installing try this:

apt-get --purge remove apache-common
apt-get install apache

and let me know if this will solve the problem

No, it didn't, but on the other hand, extracting /etc/init.d/apache helped, so at least I'm rolling.

Another potentially wierd thing in this setup, is that roxen2 is already running, and sitting on port 80. (I intend to run apache on 8080, eventually).

If you would like, you can get ssh access to the machine and poke around.