Forgive my ignorance, I'm not very familiar with the packaging structure
for debian (beyond being a consumer) -- is Upstream from Apache?  (I just
went and downloaded 2.4.12 from Apache's site and I see in configure that
you have to pass a parameter to actually enable compiling for imagemap.  I
assume this is what we're referring to?)

The site using these server-side maps probably has hundreds of them in
use.  Converting them to user maps is going to be a significant chore.
While I can probably provide the guidance and suggestion to do so, I can't
say that will be done in any short order, so for the interim yes the module
is required.