> Has anybody done this, are there comparable instructions for an RPi3,
> and- above all- is there a straightforward kernel release suitable for
> host and guest?

I posted a similar question on the Raspberry Pi forums here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=154497&p=1010500#p1010500

I got one response with some links in it but so far I'm still using
Raspbian.  It's very stable, which I care more about than being
bleeding edge.  I do the apt-get update and apt-get upgrade about once
a month.  I have 2 3Bs and a Zero, clone my SD card so I maintain 1
image.

--
Credit is the root of all evil.  - AB1JX