On Tuesday 24 July 2018 16:40:38 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> On 24/07/18 20:15, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tuesday 24 July 2018 14:29:49 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> >> So you get the password prompt which is actually issued by your SSH
> >> client. The two things I'd suggest are (i) if you have one use a
> >> shell session on the local console to run something like  ps faux |
> >> less  so you can see whether the ssh daemon's stuck running
> >> something. Look in /var/log/messages etc. Try ssh without the -Y
> >> then again with the -v option.
> >>
> >> Sorry for being concise, but evening passes and I've spent all day
> >> on RPi OSes and several nay many days trying to sort out throughput
> >> issues... SSH login should /not/ be a problem.
> >
> > The only thing I can see that sshd related:
> >
> > /usr/sbin/sshd -D
> >   \ sshd: pi [priv]
> >     \ sshd: pi@pts/1
> >      \ /bin/bash
> >
> > There was one other entry, clear at the bottom of a lengthy list:
> > sshd
> >    \ bin/bash but I think that was the terminal I was using.  Or is
> > that the hung one??? dunno.
>
> And what does  ssh -v  tell you?
>
> In the shell session you're using try  echo $$  which will give you
> the PID of that instance of bash, and then see where that appears in
> ps faux  output.

I can do that,
> > I hope that effort bears fruit, this and another r-pi 3b has had a
> > habit of throwing away local keyboard and mouse events. Another
> > reboot might fix it, and then again it might be worse. But I expect
> > this is a different breed of horse.
>
> http://www.lab-initio.com/screen_res/nz174.jpg

Chuckle.

> But that ps output does appear to imply that you've got a running
> shell, so the question might be moving from sshd towards something
> silly like an endless loop in your .bashrc

Thats not been touched by me in nearly a year. But I'll go look anyway.

And here is an interesting observation, a lowercase -y works, the
uppercase doesn't:
gene@coyote:~/Public/rock64-next-try$ ssh -y  pi@picnc
pi@picnc's password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Tue Jul 24 17:56:59 2018 from coyote.coyote.den
pi@picnc:~ $

But I don't get that final pi@picnc if I use the uppercase -Y.  That
ought to help pin it down I'd think.    But maybe not, but the manpage
on this machine says its a log path control.

This manpage says ForwardX11Trusted, but it does not exist in that jessie
machine sshd_config

And now with all the fooling around, I can't restart the ssh service on
this machine, getting this error:
   gene@coyote:~/Public/rock64-next-try$ service ssh start
[....] Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshdCould not load host
key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
. ok

I think I'd better quit while I still have a network.
but do they exist?: yes:
gene@coyote:~/Public/rock64-next-try$ ls -l /etc/ssh
total 272
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 242091 Apr 30  2014 moduli
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1733 Nov 27  2016 ssh_config
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2557 Nov 27  2016 sshd_config
-rw------- 1 root root    668 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_dsa_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    601 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
-rw------- 1 root root    227 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_ecdsa_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    173 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_ecdsa_key.pub
-rw------- 1 root root   1675 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_rsa_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    393 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_rsa_key.pub

So I am lost.  Thanks Mark.
--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)