Hi otavio,

At 15 Nov 08 07:35:39 GMT,
Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Christian Perrier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Quoting Kenshi Muto ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
> >> After this patch is applied, 'make build_netboot' will build boot.img.gz
> >> in dest/netboot/ directory for i386 and amd64 with both text and gtk
> >> installers.
> >> Because I didn't know well about other architectures, my patch didn't
> >> touch them.
> >
> > Nice. However, as this requires documentation changes, I think this
> > should be post-Lenny.
>
> Kenshi, could you propose a text for it to the installer guide?

After seeing installer guide, I think only a few changes are needed.
Please see also attached patch against installation-guide r56652.

Here are my changes:

Section 4.3 Preparing Files for USB Memory Stick Booting
 4.3 1st paragraph:
> ... packages, possibly in combination with a mirror. This second method is
> the common.
... packages, possibly in combination with a mirror.
[Remove last sentence.]

 2nd paragraph:
> For the first installation method ... and use the 'flexible way' explained
> below to copy the files to the USB stick.
For the first installation method ... and use the 'easy way' explained below to
copy the files to the USB stick.
[replace flexible way with easy way.]

 paragraph before 4.3.1:
> Note that the USB stick should be at least 256 MB in size
Note that the USB stick should be at least 64 MB (netboot) or 256 MB (hd-media)
in size
[describe both size.]

 4.3.1 1st paragraph:
> There is an all-in-one file hd-media/boot.img.gz
There is an all-in-one file boot.img.gz
[remove 'hd-media/'.]

 4.3.1 2nd paragraph:
> Note that
If you use an hd-media image, note that
[This paragraph is applied only for hd-media.]

 pargraph before 4.3.2:
> If you use an hd-media image, you have one more job. After extracting, mount
> the USB memory stick
After that, mount the USB memory stick
[ditto.]

Section A.2.2 USB memory stick
 2nd paragraph:

> The easiest way to prepare your USB memory stick is to download
> hd-media/boot.img.gz, and use gunzip to extract the image from that
> file. Write this image directly to your memory stick, which must be
> at least 256 mb in size. Of course this will destroy anything already on
> the memory stick. Then mount the memory stick, ...

The easiest way to prepare your USB memory stick is to download
netboot/ boot.img.gz or hd-media/boot.img.gz, and use gunzip to
extract the image from that file. Write this image directly to your
memory stick, which must be at least 64 mb (netboot) or 256 mb
(hd-media) in size. Of course this will destroy anything already on
the memory stick. Compared with that a netboot image takes most
installer components from the net, an hd-media image uses a Debian ISO
image file. So then mount the memory stick, which will now have a FAT
filesystem on it. Next, download a Debian netinst CD image, and copy
that file to the memory stick ...
[describe both size. describe the difference between netboot and
hd-media.]

P.S.
Of course please check my first patch against debian-installer.
Though my build test (build_netboot and build_netboot-gtk, build_all) and
boot test (text and gtk) worked on my i386 environment.

Thanks,
- --
Kenshi Muto
[EMAIL PROTECTED]