On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 03:14:45PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> I see a doubled slash, but no indication it has anything to do with the
> problem you experienced.
>
> joey@wren:~> wget -q http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian//dists/squeeze/Release
> -O - | grep -E '^(Suite|Codename):'
> Suite: stable
> Codename: squeeze
>
> Do you have a broken proxy, or something else that makes // not work?
> Do you have any reason to think this was not just a transient network problem?

I saw this recently too when a machine in fact did not have a working network
link.

Too bad the error couldn't be "Network connection failed" rather than
"invalid release on mirror".

I guess since grep is what gives a return code there isn't any easy to
way to know what wget thought of the request.

--
Len Sorensen