Hi,

(I'm taking the liberty of keeping the initial quote even if that
wasn't a public conversation, hopefully that's OK…)

Adam D. Barratt <a...@adam-barratt.org.uk> (2024-06-23):
> Just a quick note to say that we've closed upload processing for both
> of next weekend's point releases. Everything that might be needed for
> the d-i builds should be in place already from the p-u side. Please
> feel free to go ahead at a convenient point.

I'm afraid I have bad news regarding the graphical installer for
bullseye: once past ISOLINUX in BIOS mode, the screen goes black, and
stays black. Pressing any key makes the language selection screen pop
up out of the shadows anyway, but what a terrible user experience… we
*might* be able to accept (and document) the regression, but I would
prefer *not* to do that…

The same happens after GRUB2 in UEFI mode.

That doesn't seem to be something about timings, as pressing a key
repeatedly from the get-go gives an image almost immediately (so that
shouldn't be something like getrandom again)…

https://debamax.com/blog/2018/05/25/debugging-black-screen-in-debian-installer/

I'm seeing this with netboot-gtk's mini.iso, and *not* with the
20210731+deb11u10 one, so this isn't just something about my QEMU
setup.

I'm not seeing this with netboot's mini.iso, so usual suspects would
be the GTK stack, the X stack, and the kernel.

I haven't tested on baremetal yet. But even I can only replicate it
within QEMU, it would make sense to figure out where this is coming
from, and whether that can be avoided with some fix or workaround.

Adam, what timeframe are you comfortable with, to give me some time to
figure that out? (i.e. d-i/bullseye must be uploaded before ___?)

Cheers,
--
Cyril Brulebois (k...@debian.org)            <https://debamax.com/>