Hi,

Cyril Brulebois <k...@debian.org> wrote (Thu, 3 Oct 2024 12:32:34 +0200):
> Holger Wansing <hwans...@mailbox.org> (2024-10-03):
> > Cyril Brulebois <k...@debian.org> wrote (Thu, 3 Oct 2024 08:23:43 +0200):
> > > Seems better than selecting something by default without being sure it
> > > does fit?
> >
> > Sure.
> > Tests show, that raising the limit by 1G to 4G brings back the old behaviour
> > (no desktop task pre-selected), but to be a bit prepared for future growth,
> > I would propose to go to 5G here?
>
> That would look good to me, thanks for the tests!

Also there is a test in tests/desktop, if enough RAM is installed, to make
sense for a desktop environment to be installed.
The actual value is 64MB, from the beginning of this logic, thus it's 19 years
old.
So, if less than 64MB of RAM is installed, the desktop task will not be
pre-selected.
Should we update this to real world as well?
Currently this test does nothing in fact...

In https://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.amd64/ch03s04.html we recommend at least
2GB of RAM for desktop systems.
I could think of using this value for the above check as well, or maybe
the double of it.

Comments?
Is it worth the effort at all?

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwans...@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076