Gaudenz Steinlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Thank you for this report. I hope this will help us track down the
> problem.
>
> could you please test the following:
> 1. If the af_packet kernel module is loaded. It is needed for dhcp and
> should be loaded automatically.

No, it's not loaded.  After the "Feel free to retry" message I started
a shell and ran lsmod, af_packet is not listed.  I ran "dhclient eth1"
from the prompt and it produced

  Internet Software Consortium DHCP Client 2.0pl5
  Copyright 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999 The Internet Software Consortium.
  All rights reserved.

  Please contribute if you find this software useful.
  For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/dhcp-contrib.html

  /etc/dhclient-script: 99: sleep: not found
  socket: Address family not supported by protocol
  Make sure to set CONFIG_PACKET=y and CONFIG_FILTER=y in your kernel configuration!
  exiting.

Next I ran modprobe to load af_packet, then I exited the shell and
tried "Configure the network via DHCP" again.  It failed again.
Finally I went back to the shell and ran "dhclient eth1" by hand
(af_packet is still loaded) and it successfully negogiated a lease.

Perhaps the "sleep: not found" message indicates the problem?

> 2. If you can set up static networking (using netcfg-static or on the
> console)

It fails in the same way, a red screen with a "Feel free to retry"
message.

> 3. If dhcp works on your installed system you could try to figure out
> the differences in the d-i setup and the installed system.

This machine normally runs stable, with a customised SMP kernel.  I
have via-rhine in /etc/modules and the lines

  auto eth0
  iface eth0 inet static
    address   192.168.1.2
    netmask   255.255.255.0
  auto eth1
  iface eth1 inet dhcp

in /etc/network/interfaces.  I don't know where to look for
differences.

--
Philip Martin