Hi Sven,

> Well, the previous were built by Jeremie Koenig, while the later were
> built by me :) I don't know what date the previous were built, but the
> later are daily builds, so they should be more uptodate.

Yeah, I know who built them ;-)

Why do you both provide them ? Because we are at beta3 not beta6 ? It's kind
of confusing for people lesser involved in debian(-installer).

Your build is based on cvs (plus local changes) and automatic and Jeremies as
well ? So "on a normal day" (which ain't exist) these two build should/could
be the same ?

> > Installing sarge yesterday failed with the adduser-package not avaible
> > for download. (which wasn't true, obviously.) after that the installer
> > wasn't able to download a release-file, too. until I reconfigured the
> > network (with dhcp as before)). very strange.
> >
> > So I tried to install sarge from cd (with cd-drivers.img) and also
> > unstable via network, the results were the same as trying to install
> > sarge from net (with net-drivers.img) today:
> >
> > Base systems installs ok until it reaches around 70% then it fails
> > complaining that I try to install an initrd-kernel....
> > ---begin_bla-----------------
> > You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version
> > 2.4.25-powerpc-small)
> > This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
> > initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to use an INITial
> > Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and use that for
> > booting).
>
> Oh, damnit, clue-less kernel-package has hit again.

That's right ;)

This also means you will fix it ?

> > I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader -- please read your
> > bootloader documentation for details on how to add initrd images.
> >
> > If you have already done so, and you wish to get rid of this message,
> > please put
> >   `do_initrd = Yes'
> > in /etc/kernel-img.conf. Note that this is optional, but if you do not,
> > you'll continue to see this message whenever you install a kernel
> > image using initrd.
> > Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]n
> > ---end_bla-----------------
>
> Does using testing instead of unstable change a thing for this.

No.

> > So I installed kernel-images manuelly, called "quikconfig", edited
> > /etc/quik.conf so it looks like this:
> >
> > ---begin_bla-----------------
> > #root=/dev/hda2
> > # Generated by quikconfig
> > # (C) 1998 Matt McLean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > # partition=3
> > # map=/boot/map
> > timeout=20
> > image=/boot/vmlinux-2.4.25-powerpc-small
> > label=Linux
> > read-only
> > append = " initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.25-powerpc-small  video=atyfb"
> > # don't know & care now, if the video-option is neccessary here...
> > ---end_bla-----------------
> >
> > and set openfirmware like this:
> >
> > nvsetenv boot-device ata/[EMAIL PROTECTED]:0
> > nvsetenv input-device    kbd
> > nvsetenv output-device   screen
> > nvsetenv boot-file "/boot/vmlinux-2.4.25-powerpc-small video=atyfb
> > initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.25-powerpc-small"
> >
> > Booting the systems gets the following error: "VFS: Cannot open root
> > device "" or 08:01"
> > bla bla rebooting in 180seconds.
> >
> > (These settings do work on woody, but I only used them without "initrd="
> > and with "root="...)
>
> Then do so here too. The message is wrong naturally, and you should boot
> with root=/dev/hda<whatever you choose>.

Really ? I use your kernel where the ide-drivers are build as modules so I
have to use an initrd. Should I really append root=/dev/bla to the kernel
command line and set this option in quik.conf ?

regards,
        Holger