> But now keyboard is in UTF-8 mode, so bytes are passed to the kernel
> without conversion, and 0x00 0xe9 is sent instead of its UTF-8
> representation 0xc3 0xa9.
> If eacute is replaced by its Unicode notation U+00E9 in keymap
> file, everything works fine now.  But this keymap cannot be used
> when keyboard is in ASCII mode, The only solution is to have two
> keymaps, one for ASCII mode and the other one for UTF-8 mode.
>
> This looks pretty crazy, loadkeys should automatically convert from
> numerical/litteral value to Unicode notation (and vice versa)
> depending on current keyboard mode.

So, as a consequence, you define this as a bug in loadkeys....

And thus, the relevant bug could be immediately solved by:

-writing a Unicode variant for nearly all Latin keymaps (similar to
  the Turkish solution)

And as a middle term solution:

-correcting loadkeys (thus file a bug against console-tools)

For the long term, you mentioned me in another mail that the keyboard
management should now use kbd, IIRC. Can you develop on that point if
you have time?