On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 09:53:50PM +0200, Giulio Canevari wrote:
> In data 31/05/2006 19:02 Giulio Canevari ha scritto:
> >Hello,
> >
> >i have found out that putting the net card on another pci slot on my x86
> >doesn't lead to instability ;) .
> >
> >I think solution isn't that far. I try to explain everything i did and
> >what happened.
>
> The problem was in the yaboot.conf file:
>
> here is how it looks now:
>
> >device=enet:
> >partition=0
> >timeout=50
> >init-message="Debian GNU/Linux Network boot"
> >default=linux
> >
> >image=vmlinux
> >    initrd=initrd.gz
> >    label=linux
> >    initrd-size=10240
> >    #append="init=/linuxrc"
> >        append="DEBCONF_PRIORITY=low devfs=mount,dall init=/linuxrc"
> >    read-only
>
> So now it boots, it search for the cdrom, the cdrom of course doesn't
> work even with linux, and i'm still blocked.

Now that you have a good working boot-method, there is no danger in
wiping MacOS, if you want a Linux only system.

> I'm unable to partition the hd nor to fetch at least the base packages
> from the net with the internal modem with ppp, the installer seems to be
> targeted only at cdrom install.

Debian-installer comes in different flavours intended for different
uses. The main thing that differs are the modules available in the
initrd, in your case you should try to install everything from the
net, that is net-install. Let me quote an earlier post to this list
about the debian-installer:

There are three different stages A, B and C, that can be loaded by
different means:

A. How to *start* the debian-installer?

1. Boot from removable media that has an installer-image on its boot
 block (e.g. CDROM, floppy, usb)
2. Use a bootloader from within a existing operating system (yaboot,
 BootX, penguin)
2b. (possible, but not very common) Use a native bootloader (yaboot,
 grub, lilo) installed on harddisk)
3. Netboot (pxe or other methods gets a bootloader by dhcp and tftp)
(pxelinux or yaboot loads (by tftp) the kernel and initrd needed)

B. From where is the debian-installer to get its *own modules* (needed
for its own functioning)?

1. From the removable media (CDROM or usb) that started the debian-installer at
boot
2. From .iso-file on local harddisk (Filesystem must be readable by the
debian-installer, which exludes HFS+)
3. From the net (internet or local debian-mirror)

C. From where is the debian-installer to get the software that will *install*

C1: The base system

1. From the removable media (CDROM or usb) that started the debian-installer at
boot
2. From .iso-file on local harddisk (Filesystem must be readable by the
debian-installer, which exludes HFS+)
3. From the net (internet or local debian-mirror)

C2: Additional packages

1. From the removable media (CDROM or usb) that started the debian-installer at
boot
2. From .iso-file on local harddisk (Filesystem must be readable by the
debian-installer, which exludes HFS+)
3. From the net (internet or local debian-mirror)

You control B by choosing what images you will use. I *think* any
image can be started in any of the tree ways outlined in A (thus
netboot does NOT imply a tftp boot).

"Netboot" means B:3
"Hd-media" means B:2
"Business" means B:1

I think that you can choose C1 and C2 at install time (if you run the
installer at a low enough priority)

> In fact only these steps are avaible:
>
> main-menu,languagechooser,countrychooser,kbd-chooser,hw-detect,cdrom-detect,cdrom-checker,shell
>

> .
>
> So i don't have
> netcfg,iso-scan,choose-mirror,partman,autopartkit,partitioner,partconf,base-installer,os-prober,bootloader-installer,base-config
>
> Actually i have got the debian-businnesscard iso [ from wich i have took
> the kernel, yaboot and so on placed in /tftpboot ],

I think that when you use the initrd from the businesscard flavor that
means B:1, so you will have to use a usb-stick to load parts of the
installer. Another strategy is to download an kernel+initrd from the
netboot flavour and boot with those, which will be able to do B:3.

> it fits the usb key
> but i don't know how to reach and use it.
>
> The usb key is seen as /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc on the
> mac, i can cat/head and so on the raw content, but i am unable to mount
> it. Actually it has a vfat fs on top.

As implied above business flavour mean B:1, and you seem to want B:2.
I suspect that will not work. For it to work, use a kernel+initrd from
the hd-install flavor of d-i.

I'm CC:ing debian-boot@lists.debian.org in order to get advice from
the really knowledgeable people on this subject.

kind regards,

--
Hans Ekbrand (http://sociologi.cjb.net) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GnuPG key: 1024D/7050614E