On Aug 19, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Steve Langasek wrote:

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 04:47:44PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:

We mainly need to determine how we are going to use rdate:
- for all installations;
- only for some (sub)arches like nlsu;
- only if difference between system date/time and rdate date/time is
  greater than x.

Seems to me there needs to be a link with clock-setup as I guess rdate would set the time to UTC. So either clock-setup would need to reset the
clock if "local time" is selected, or it would have to default to UTC
too.
We could even use rdate to guess if clock is set to local time or UTC
based on the difference between system time and rdate.

For countries with more than 1 timezone, I want to be able to set a default timezone for the system based on the offset between the system clock and the
remote timeserver as well... :)

It should be noted that the dhcp protocol has an option to provide the local offset from UTC, though it does not (currently) have a way of communicating things like Daylight Saving Time and so on.

There is a draft proposal in the IETF (http://www.ietf.org/internet- drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-timezone-option-03.txt) to add full time-zone info (as an option) to dhcp. Full RFC status is probably many months (years?) away. Implementation in production dchp servers will most likely wait for that.

Rick