Hi Christoph, Hello Lennart,

Am Sonntag, den 12.06.2011, 12:34 +0200 schrieb Christoph Egger:
> Package: src:libnss-myhostname
> Version: 0.3-1
> Severity: serious
> Tags: sid wheezy
> Justification: fails to build from source (but built successfully in the past)
>
> Hi!
>
> Your pacage failed to build on the kfreebsd-* buildds:
> libtool: compile:  x86_64-kfreebsd-gnu-gcc -std=gnu99 -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
> -I/build/buildd-libnss-myhostname_0.3-1-kfreebsd-amd64-oyrjWQ/libnss-myhostname-0.3
>  -include ./config.h -Wall -g -O2 -Wall -W -Wextra -pedantic -pipe -Wformat
> -Wold-style-definition -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wfloat-equal
> -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-prototypes -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wredundant-decls -Wmissing-noreturn -Wshadow -Wendif-labels -Wpointer-arith
> -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Winline -Wno-unused-parameter -ffast-math
> -fvisibility=hidden -fdiagnostics-show-option -MT netlink.lo -MD -MP -MF
> .deps/netlink.Tpo -c
> /build/buildd-libnss-myhostname_0.3-1-kfreebsd-amd64-oyrjWQ/libnss-myhostname-0.3/netlink.c
>   -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/netlink.o
> /build/buildd-libnss-myhostname_0.3-1-kfreebsd-amd64-oyrjWQ/libnss-myhostname-0.3/netlink.c:25:23:
>  fatal error: asm/types.h: No such file or directory
> compilation terminated.
> make[3]: *** [netlink.lo] Error 1
>
> Full build log at
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=libnss-myhostname&arch=kfreebsd-amd64&ver=0.3-1&stamp=1307742167
>
> If you have further questions please mail debian-bsd@lists.debian.org

it seems that nss-myhostname has changed the way it acquires link
addresses between versions 0.2 to 0.3 to make use of the netlink
interface. This breaks the package on hurd and freebsd kernels. What
should we do here? I see three options:

 A. Mark the package as Linux-only. Least hassle, but of course not
great for the BSDers. Also, I would want to suggest to the
debian-installer folk to consider to install this by default instead of
having to generated a suitable /etc/hosts, and I’m sure they are more
likely to do so if the package works on all kernels.
PRO: No additional work.
CON: Probably no installation by default, and wider adoption of the tool
is, I think, also in Lennart’s interest.

 B. Ask Lennart to try to make his program portable.
PRO: No Debian-specific changes required.
CON: More work for Lennart and, if I correctly read what he wrote about
systemd, he is in favor of choosing small code size over portability.

 C. Patch BSD-support ourself onto it.
PRO: It is not A, but does not require B to happen.
CON: Derivation from upstream, and someone else has to do the work, as I
don’t think I’ll be able to do that.

Unless either Lennart or someone else is willing to support BSD (and,
less importantly, Hurd), we will have to go with A.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner