Hi,

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 April 2007 19:42, Michael Loftis wrote:
> > It's becoming prohibitively expensive for mirrors to maintain a debian
> > mirror because of the huge amount of storage required by all of the
> > CD/DVD images.  This has been brought up before by mirror maintainers.
> > IMH(umble)O Jigdo should be pushed much much harder since it can
> > generate the entire CD or DVD set for a given arch off a normal repo
> > pool, and those have to be kept around anyway.
>
> That is an idea. Maybe only publish the lower .iso's (exactly how many
> would need to be determined) but keep all jigdo's around. CD vendors can
> probably be expected to be able to generate iso's using jigdo.

While I sympathize with the idea, please keep in mind that some big mirrors
prefer that users download images via ISO than via jigdo. So the most popular
images should really be available as ISO.

Reason: it's much more effective for them when users download an ISO than
when they use jigdo. For example the ftp.fr.debian.org admin explained me
that they were limited by the disk seek and not by the bandwith used by
the users.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog