On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:26:14 -0700 Russ Allbery <r...@debian.org> wrote:
> So, this is also the last call for anyone to explain what harmful effect
> this could have if they think it would have a harmful effect.  My
> understanding is that all of the possible harmful effects have been fixed
> by various other changes.

systemd-shim 8-4 and newer no longer seem likely to produce harmful
effects, given that systemd-shim now depends on systemd rather than
shipping its own D-Bus policy, and that systemd-shim itself pointedly
does not launch on systemd systems.  Neither of those two properties
seems likely to change or break.

systemd-shim does depend on cgmanager, which seems more prone to
breakage, and in fact has a handful of open bugs on it.  cgmanager has
in the past broken on non-systemd systems.  I personally would like to
see a resolution of 755977 to deal with that.

Apart from that, I would still request that someone with the ability to
produce a modified local mirror test the two critical cases mentioned in
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=746578#129 .  If those
two cases work, then systemd systems should not end up with systemd-shim
installed under normal circumstances, making breakage far less likely.

- Josh Triplett