On Thu, 2022-03-24 at 09:12 +0100, Ansgar wrote:
> On Tue, 2022-03-15 at 15:14 -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> > This escalation seems in direct contradiction to the tech-ctte
> > decision in 994388.
>
> It already confuses users, for example:

It was pointed out in #-devel that there are bugs in `dpkg-fsys-
usrunmess` that might make systems no longer boot, at least #1008316
and #1008478.

As I suspect more people will try running it due to the newly
introduced warning by dpkg's postinst script, I feel this will
needlessly break user systems. While we can't avoid all such bugs in
programs to move from/to merged-/usr, I believe we should not recommend
users to do such conversions needlessly (given we have decided to move
to merged-/usr previously).

It feels quite unprofessional for the dpkg maintainer to cause this
avoidable breakage of user systems due to his disagreement with the
project's decision.

Ansgar