Andrew Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> After discussing security with some friends we got around to using
> md5 instead of crypt.

I think you mean "instead of DES".  It's the crypt(3) function that
would be changed to use MD5 (MD5a).

> This has been brought up before but nothing much seemed to
> happen. Is debian going to switch to md5 with 1.0 or are people
> opposed to this?

I think switching would probably be a decent idea, although it is not
of earth-shattering importance to me.  I'm also concerned about doing
Debian doing it alone, instead of with the cooperation of the rest of
the Linux community.

I am more interested in longer user names and longer password.  I'm
disgusted with being limited to eight characters.

A little reading on using MD5 instead of DES turned up a FreeBSD web
page on the topic.

  http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook68.html

BTW, I like the way their manual is set up and on the web.  And I also
like that it seems more geared to open contributions than the Debian
manual.

Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan          Member of the League for Programming Freedom
[EMAIL PROTECTED]