Ian Murdock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Daniel Quinlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> BTW, I like the way their manual is set up and on the web.  And I
>> also like that it seems more geared to open contributions than the
>> Debian manual.

> Hmm..  Well, I did release a draft of the manual in July so that the
> Project could contribute.  I've received exactly two patches to
> date.  Due to lack of interest, I never released an updated interim
> draft, and I'm still in the process of getting ready to release the
> final draft.  What, exactly, have I done to discourage "open
> contributions"?

It was not my intent to insult.  Maybe I should offer some suggestions
that might help encourage contributions.

1. Release a new copy.  Make it very public.

It has been my experience that contributors are more apt to continue
contributing if things aren't kept so private and are updated often.

 - People like to see the results of their work
 - People like to contribute to projects that are moving forward
   at a significant pace or are updated often.
 - People don't like to repeat work.  Knowing the status of things
   means that you won't repeat work.
 - The urge to work is often the result of seeing something new that
   you have strong feelings about (positive or negative).

2. Stop calling it a draft, call it a work in progress.

 Dan

--
Daniel Quinlan          Member of the League for Programming Freedom
[EMAIL PROTECTED]