On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 16:26:06 -0500 (CDT)
Adam Heath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Have you ever heard of alternatives?  If 2 packages are installed, both
> providing the same alternative, it's up to you to decide which is used.

    Yes, I have.  I've used it quite a bit.

> I'm not saying that /usr/bin/gcc is managed by alternatives, or should be.
> I'm just saying the use case is the same.

    No, it is not.

> If you want gcc-2.95, instead of the default gcc(whatever it is), then call
> gcc-2.95 directly.

    The difference is, as I pointed out to someone else privately, that if I
install, say, nvi it can be called as vi using /etc/alternatives.  It does
not, however, depend on a vi package which contains a symlink which, to be
fulfilled, depends on *another* vi package (vim, elvis, elvis-tiny) to be
satisfied.

    When I install anything which is managed by /etc/alternatives other,
potentially incompatible, versions of similar or the same software is not
installed.  No, I get what I asked for and ONLY what I asked for.