Hi folks!

As I'm working on a new Policy I'm handling the request to include a
policy for "correct architecture spec strings". However, I've discovered
_several_ threads here on debian-devel without any (obvious) results.

Is it correct, that we are currently working on ports to the following
platforms (the abbrevs should be the ones that dpkg is using in the file
names):
        i386
        alpha
        arm
        m68k
        powerpc
        sparc
Are these correct (i.e. not ppc) and is this list complete?

Next step: GNU's "configure" utility. I thought that we had agreed on
using
        i386-unknown-linux
(and similar for the other architectures), but then I had just discovered
that GCC uses
        /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/
                         ^^^^^^^^^^

(first it says "i486" instead of "i386", second it ommits the "unknown").

(The reason we didn't choose
        i386-debian-linux
is that we wanted our utilities to be compatible with other
distributions.)

Any comments, please.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
Don't know Perl?     [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/