On Thu, 29 May 1997, Galen Hazelwood wrote:

> Christian Schwarz wrote:
> >
> > Next step: GNU's "configure" utility. I thought that we had agreed on
> > using
> >         i386-unknown-linux
> > (and similar for the other architectures), but then I had just discovered
> > that GCC uses
> >         /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/
> >                          ^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > (first it says "i486" instead of "i386", second it ommits the "unknown").
> >

> Yes, for hysterical raisins, we use i486 instead of i386.
> systems, these are identical.  On Intel, they happen to be different.
> We leave out the "unknown" becuase A) it's ugly, and B) nobody cares who
> built your silly pc-clone box anyway.  They're all the same, except for
> the ways in which they are different.  :)
>
> (Don't ask me what the historical reasons are, though.  I might start to
> whimper...)

Sorry, but I couldn't resist :-) What are the reasons?

If we make this policy, we should have some real arguments for it! Since
we use "i386" in all our file names and since Debian actually runs on
386SX and higher I don't see why we should label this "i486".

Does someone know if it makes any troubles if we ommit the (ugly)
"unknown" in "i386-linux"?

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
           !   ___;   [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           \  /
  \\\______/  !        PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
   \          /         http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/
  "DIE ENTE BLEIBT DRAUSSEN!"