On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 22:22 +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> Op di, 08-03-2005 te 10:33 -0800, schreef Clint Byrum:
> > How much would it help with the current problems if we just picked 3
> > arches(mipsel, s390, ???)
>
> This argument has been brought up so many times by now that I'm amazed
> people /still/ try it.
>
> The answer is, simply, 'not'. Go learn to use google if you want to know
> why.

Good idea.. google is a great tool for this sort of thing. I put this
one in:

site:lists.debian.org architectures sarge debian-devel

Lets see what some of the best hits were...

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2004/08/msg00017.html

"- Toolchain fixes.  A misbuilt gcc-3.3 package on alpha left us with a
   broken compiler in sarge -- which aside from being release-critical,
   made it rather hard to build packages uploaded to the
   testing-proposed-updates queue.  This is being addressed as we speak,
   though with a little more pain than we'd like; by dinstall on the 29th,
   we should have a working gcc on all architectures in sarge."

"To fix the ptrace bug, the s390 and mips architectures rolled the ptrace
security fix into kernel-patch-2.4.17-s390 and
kernel-patch-2.4.{17,19}-mips.  This makes things even worse, because if
kernel-source-2.4.{17,19} are patched to contain the fix, it will almost
certainly make these architectures' kernel images fail to build because of
patch conflicts, and require that the -patch packages be updated _again_ to
undo this."

"However, after fighting for months on an update for CAN-2004-0077 for
all architectures and all kernels, it was a lot easier to provide
updates for the CAN-2004-0109 vulnerability."

Nope.. nope.. there aren't too many architectures! You're right.

<sigh>

--
Clint Byrum <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>