On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 11:04:09AM +0100, Julien BLACHE wrote:

> Matt Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Details about Ubuntu and its goals can be found on the website.  In many
> > respects there is more information available about Ubuntu activity, and the
> > goals of the project, than about organizations which provide you with the
> > essentials of life.  Yet, you seem to trust them by default, while you
> > assume that Ubuntu seeks to cause you harm.  Why?
>
> Because Ubuntu appeared behind a screen of smoke. And smoke hasn't
> dissipated yet. Debian Developers were not informed in an appropriate
> manner of what was going on there.

That simply isn't true.  I personally announced the existence of the project
to debian-devel, before it even had a name or a website.  I also answered
questions from many Debian developers about it, people wrote about it in
their blogs, it was announced by the news media, a presentation was given at
DebConf4, ...

If Ubuntu had been intended to be a secret, it would have been a very poorly
concealed one.

> > An announcement of what?  The release meeting, or Ubuntu?  You'd be wrong in
> > either case, as can be easily shown by mailing list archives.
>
> Ubuntu. Sure, there was a mail posted to -devel. It basically said
> "Hey folks, look there, we're doing something, there are patches. We
> have no name yet.". It said nothing else. It did not even list the
> people involved. We had to find out by hanging out on IRC. Nice way of
> treating your fellows, indeed.

This particular mail was posted to debian-devel:

It included:

- Name of the company
- Reference to the DebConf talk
- Some Debian developers are working for the company
- Creation of a derived distribution
- Intent to contribute back to Debian
- Link to up-to-date archive of patches being contributed
- Where to find more information as it becomes available

Whatever your perceived threat, I cannot believe that it could be due to a
lack of information.  If you can explain what it is that makes you feel
uncomfortable,

> And now you're pointing us to the Ubuntu website, but it's a bit
> late.

As soon as a proper website was up and running, the URL in the announcement
above became a redirect to the more comprehensive site.

> > Fixed?  You haven't identified a problem, and you seem to be attacking those
> > who are working to solve well-known problems in Debian.
>
> By destroying the Project ? Interesting approach.

I do not see how you could possibly justify this claim.  The release team
are clearly taking action because they want to improve the health and
viability of Debian, and this is supported by the meeting followup which
started this thread.

--
 - mdz