On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 08:55:57PM +0100, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi, David Nusinow wrote:
>
> > This does not preclude porters from making a stable release. In fact, all
> > the talk I've heard assumes that they will (via the snapshot method).
>
> Anybody can do a snapshot release of Debian. They usually call it
> something else, though.

Indeed. I think this particular issue will be solved if we all just decide to
call port releases "Debian", since that's essentially what they'll be. We
already call them "Debian m68k" "Debian Alpha" and whatnot, so I don't see that
we'd even need to change the nomenclature.

> What I'd like to see is actual support for tracking the mainline Debian
> archives. For one, that will make security support *much* easier.

Agreed, although I don't know how this could actually be done.

 - David Nusinow